Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Last Words.

Writing Prompt: If you only had one week left to live, what is the last story/poem/letter or reflection you would write?  What would you put on your last page?  What are the most pressing words you would want to leave behind? 


Last Words.

This is my last foray
Into my past transgressions
And the first time there won't be a future to look forward to
God made the world in 7 days
And in 7 days,
my world, my existence,
my life will be over. 
And on the 7th Day - REST. 
Final words flip-flop
Between two extremes:
Happily Epitaph-ter
Or oBITCHuary
To my mother, I became you
To my daughter, don't become me
To my husband, I tried
And I'm sorry and I never deserved you and this life you gave us. 
To the rest of my family and friends,
I know I always made it all about me. But I need you to know now it was always about all of you.
I should have worked less and played more. 
I should have talked less and listened more. 
I should have focused on quality and not quantity. 
My ears echo Rent's refrain,
"no day but today"
But I fear we lived
Too many maybe tomorrows
In this life we Owned. 
So when I am gone
Live for me. 
"Live. Laugh. Love."
Rise above it all

And meet me,
In the "rainbow in the clouds,"
In the twilight of time,
In the semi-darkness of pre-dawn,
In the magic hour of a brilliant sunset.

And know that "still I rise" in all of you. 

-Tess Gamboa





No comments:

Post a Comment